Monday, July 7, 2014

Book Hate

One of the functions of a library blog should be recommending new books and authors and reviewing books.  But what if we read a book and absolutely hate it?  Wouldn't you want to know that as well?

I (Julie) found an article online today about Book Hate.  http://the-toast.net/2014/07/04/lets-talk-books-hate/#idc-cover  I am still reading through the comments about all the books that readers have absolutely hated.  The commenters are almost gleeful about finding a safe place to vent their hatred for certain books.  It's as though someone finally gave them permission to express their secret dislike of some of the most popular books out there.  All genre's are mentioned; romance, fantasy, science fiction, young adult, and, of course, classics we are all supposed to love. 

I asked Chance what books he had ever read and hated and he had his answer for me almost before I finished the question.  He HATED The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.  He said he had a hard time grasping Faulkner's stream of consciousness writing.  He also didn't like Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger because the main character was jaded and blamed a lot of his problems on other people and near the end he went "a little nuts".  Chance said the boy had nothing else to do but gripe.  

As for me, I hate Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.  It's completely depressing and never gets any better.  It's basically about falling in love with people you can't have and then you die.  Oh joy.  I've tried it a couple of times at different points in my life, but I never connected with it.  I am also not a fan of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which is one of Chance's favorite books.

So, I am throwing the question to you?  What book have you read and hated?   Has anyone ever enthusiastically recommended a book to you and then you hated it?  Do you normally finish books you hate, or do you put them down once you know you hate them?  Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment