Monday, July 21, 2014

"Real" book vs. E-reader

I've mentioned before that I (Julie) read a lot of library and book blogs looking for new books and ideas for the library.  Very often, in my virtual ramblings, I see discussions about e-readers versus physical books.  Believe it or not, these discussions can get quite heated!   



The pro "real" book people wax poetic about the feel, the smell, and the heft of real books. They talk about the joy of having full bookshelves. They enjoy being able to make notes in their books and the ability to pass books along to friends.  "Real" book people love the experience of browsing through titles in the bookstore and finding previously loved books at the discount bookstore.  They despise the thought of switching to an e-reader.

On the contrary, the e-book lovers talk about the ease of carrying an entire library with them wherever they go.  They use the dictionary and highlight features of their e-reader.  They love the ability to download something new almost instantly. 

I, however, think that a reader can have the best of both worlds.  Franklin County Library recently added e-books to our collection through Overdrive.  Now, whenever I find out about an interesting book, I look to see if we own it in both our physical collection and our electronic collection and I read it wherever I find it. 

I don't ever see a time when real, physical books are not important in our lives, but e-books open up so many more options for finding the books a reader wants to read at the best price.  If you are using Overdrive through us, that price is FREE!! 

How do you feel about e-books versus physical books?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment