Monday, August 11, 2014

Chance's Corner: Texas Traveler - The Very Busy Weekend!

This Texas Traveler edition is jam-packed with two exciting adventures! Why? Because I had a very busy weekend!

Friday

I took off from work (gasp!), and went with the family to lounge around in the cool waters of the Splash Kingdom waterpark in Canton, Texas. It's a pretty nice place. Not too big... not too small. The only drawback is the lack of shade. There's a lot of sun beaming off that hot pavement! That's really my only complaint about the place. Despite that small setback,  my nieces had tons of fun being adventurous and going down the big slides. I took one adventurous turn, but it really reminded me why the lazy river is my favorite attraction.

 
 




 

 

Saturday

I went with the family to the Winspear Opera House in Dallas to take in a performance of The Phantom of the Opera. Words simply can not express how the performance was. I could say... Spectacular! Beautiful! Stunning! Touching! Those are all great words, but still do not cover how much I enjoyed the show. The sets were immense and immaculate. It seemed to have a life of its own as it effortlessly moved and transitioned from scene to scene. My favorite transition was the introductory descent into the Phantom's lair beneath the opera house. I also enjoyed the grand reveal of the famous chandelier and its great collapse.

The singing was superb. I had goosebumps throughout the entire performance hearing my favorite songs belted out live and in person. Surprisingly, the regular actor for the Phantom was not available, so his understudy, Allan Snyder, was in his place. I looked through the program, and Snyder's name and photo was listed way, way down at the bottom. Let me tell you that Snyder should be bumped all the way up to the top! He was incredible.

I was worried that my dad wouldn't enjoy the performance but he actually did. He said he especially enjoyed the second act because it was very tragic. I agree with him on that. Let's just say... some man-tears were shed. Well, I shed them. Dad just laughed at me.

 

 

 



 
 


 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment