Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Reading Habits Survey

I recently found an online survey about reading and reading habits.   I thought it was fun, so I pared down the original 55 questions to 25 and gave it to all the library staff.  I won't bore you with the whole thing, but you might enjoy some of the highlights.

Favorite Childhood Book:

  • Lisa - We Like Kindergarten - She said her mother used to read her this book before she was big enough to go to Kindergarten and she couldn't wait to go.
  • Julie - The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein - I had a hard time picking a favorite!
  • Chance - The Captain Underpants Series by Dav Pilkey and the Akiko Series by Mark Crilley
  • Debbie - Green Eggs & Ham by Dr. Seuss
What do you have checked out of the library right now?
  • Lisa - I Work at a Public Library, by Gina Sheridan
  • Julie - The World of Turner, Labor Day, by Joyce Maynard, and Forget Me, by K.A. Harrington
  • Chance - Strangers on a Train
  • Debbie - Fifteen Minutes, by Karen Kingsbury
Where is your favorite place to read?
  • Lisa - "My big comfy chair."
  • Julie - "My spot on the couch in my living room."
  • Chance - "In bed, under a dim light."
  • Debbie - "On the front porch."
Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
  • Lisa - Several, I always am reading one and listening to another
  • Julie - I like to have one fiction and one non-fiction going at once
  • Chance - One at a time
  • Debbie - One at a time
Least favorite book you read this year
  • Lisa - I'll Give You the Sun, by Jandy Nelson
  • Julie - Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes
  • Chance - Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • Debbie - Paleo for Beginners

Other questions included "Do you have an e-reader?"  We all answered yes to that one.  Chance and I both mentioned Robert Frost as a favorite poet.  The question about a favorite reading snack brought out strong responses from Lisa and Chance who believe strongly that it is improper to read and snack.  Chance said he didn't want to get crumbs on his books! 

Reading everyone's answers was fun.  Maybe I need to do a survey of our patrons.  What do you think?

I found the original survey at An Armchair By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment