Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas Cooking

I spent the weekend, as I'm sure many of you did, gearing up for Christmas.  As part of my preparations, I am putting together plates of goodies for the men in my husband's family.  I went ahead and put together a few things this weekend that freeze well.  When I get ready to put the plates together, all I'll have to do is thaw the things I've already made!

Molasses Sugar Cookies
 
¾ cup shortening, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups sifted flour
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
 
Add sugar, egg, and molasses to melted shortening.  Beat well.  Sift flour, soda, spices, and salt.  Add to shortening mixture.  Mix well.  Chill.  Form into 1” balls and roll in sugar.  Bake at 375˚ for 8-10 minutes.
 
 
 
Cappuccino Mini Muffins
 
2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 scant Tbsp. instant coffee granules
½ cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line muffin cups with liners or spray with no-stick spray.  Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to a large mixing bowl and combine.  In a separate bowl, add the instant coffee to the milk and combine until the coffee has dissolved.  Add the butter, egg, and vanilla and combine.
 
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring just until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips. 
 
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool for five minutes in muffin tins, then move to a wire cooling rack.
 
*Both of these recipes came from a tried and true source : my mom!  I plan to add some peanut brittle and peppermint bark to the plates the day before Christmas. 
 
What are your favorite recipes for Christmas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment