Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I'll Have What She's Having by Rebecca Harrington

Earlier this month I was looking at a list of books to read in 2015 and I saw I'll Have What She's Having.  It looked fun to me, so I asked Lisa to buy it.


The author, Rebecca Harrington, gamely tries 14 different celebrity-endorsed diets.  Her observations about what she's eating are witty and sarcastic, and any time her current celebrity endorses entertaining, she subjects her friends to parties almost doomed to failure.  Just my kind of book!

She starts out following Gwyneth Paltrow's diet which requires her to spend more on groceries than she has in her entire life.  It is heavy on kale and fish.  She is doing ok on the diet when she decides to throw a dinner party.  She decides to make Gwyneth's meatballs, and is unnerved early on when the meatballs turn out to be green.  One of her guests pulls out his emergency bag of chips and another leaves to "actually eat dinner." 

Following Gwyneth Paltrow, Rebecca tries diets by Elizabeth Taylor, Greta Garbo, Madonna, Pippa Middleton, Beyoncé, Jackie Kennedy, and several others.  She also tries a couple of diets endorsed by men, one by NBA star Carmelo Anthony.  On Anthony's diet she decides, "NBA superstars are less hard-core than the average American teen girl the week before prom!"

If you are looking for a quick, fun read try I'll Have What She's Having. 

No comments:

Post a Comment