Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Marvelous Mondays! : Flaming Teabag Rockets

Doesn't the title of this experiment just sound intriguing?  When I told my husband I was going to conduct this experiment IN the library he asked me if I had the fire department here.  Lisa, Chance, and Debbie all thought I was crazy, too.  However, the experiment was conducted and 8 flaming teabag rockets were launched and the library is still here.  We didn't burn down the library or even come close!
 

To create your own flaming rocket, you need a small teabag.  I used the teabags from an herbal tea.  The family sized ones do not work.  Empty the tea bag of tea and unfold it into a long cylinder.  Set the cylinder upright on a metal surface and light both sides of the teabag.  After that just sit back and watch it burn.  It will take off right before the flames reach the bottom of the bag.  Although, I conducted the experiment in the library, I would recommend trying this outside.  Our ceilings here are high enough that our teabag didn't hit the ceiling, but in a standard house, I don't think that would be the case. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment