Monday, August 17, 2015

Julie's Journal : Vacation Week

Last week was my husband Jason's last week of summer vacation and, as usual, I took it off with him.

When I left here Friday evening, I went home and didn't leave again until Monday afternoon!  I like being at home!  I was able to start and finish several projects that I had been wanting to do, including making a new batch of Goat's Milk Soap.  I've learned a new technique for soap making that I think works better than the first few batches I made.  This batch is Anise scented, and my whole house smells wonderful from it.  I don't have a picture of the soap, but below is a picture of the goat that gave the milk for the soap. 

Her name is Patches. 


We took off Thursday for a "mini" vacation.  We visited Jason's grandmother in Carrollton, then went to Glen Rose to spend the night.  Friday morning we visited Fossil Rim.  If you've never been to Fossil Rim, I highly recommend it.  It is a drive-thru safari.  We were able to feed ostriches, wildebeests, zebra, giraffes, and several different kind of deer.  The animals come right up to your car.   


This deer is shedding the velvet off his antlers.  It looks painful, but it is perfectly natural.  We saw several rubbing against trees.  In a couple of days his antlers will be dry and hard. 





This is an Aoudad, a type of sheep from North Africa.

This elk stuck his head as far into the truck as his antlers would let him.

 
Although my pictures were not very good, we enjoyed the scenery as well.  It is very different than flat East Texas!

Later that day we made our way back into the Metroplex and attended a Texas Rangers Game.  Jason was interested in the game, but I enjoy people watching more than anything.  It was Star Wars night, so Darth Vader and other characters from the movies were walking around talking to people.  We stayed for Star Wars themed fireworks after the game, too. 


After that it was back home for a couple more days before we both went back to work this morning.  It was nice to get away for a little while, but just as nice to come back home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment