Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Marvelous Mondays! : Geodes

Yesterday I received in the mail an order I had placed for geodes and I decided to use them for Marvelous Mondays!  I got one out and read the instructions.  The instructions said to use a chisel and hammer and gently crack the geode open.  Well.... that didn't work!  I could not get the thing open!  I tried being gentle, then used more force, and finally took it outside and tried to smash it with a hammer on the concrete.  Nothing. 

So, I called John Tutor.  John is a local rock and crystal enthusiast.  When he stopped by he tried to get the geode open as well, but could not.  So he told me that he would make sure the kids had a good program.  He retrieved several of his rock picking tools, and a variety of crystals that he had dug out of the ground in Arkansas and returned in time for Marvelous Monday!.

He talked to the kids about where he had found the crystals and told them that these places were open to the public.  Anyone can go and dig them up!  With his tools, he was able to smash several of the geodes to show the kids.  We found pink, purple, white, and blue crystals.  He also let the kids take home shards of the crystals he had brought.

We very much appreciate John's willingness to share his knowledge of crystals with our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment