Thursday, January 14, 2016

Chance's Corner: The Passing of Alan Rickman



The news washed over me like a wave this morning and knocked me to the ground. Alan Rickman, age 69, died from cancer. My first thought was, is this just another cruel viral death hoax? As I checked more and more news outlets, I knew that it was the truth. Actual tears leaked from my eyes.

Beginning his career on stage and in a few made-for-television movies, Rickman skyrocketed to fame playing the unforgettable villain Hans Gruber in Die Hard. Audiences across the world were introduced to his signature charm and accent, an accent that puts him in the same prestigious league as James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman and Christopher Walken.

Throughout the years, Rickman went on to star in Quigley Down Under, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and Galaxy Quest, but the role he'll most definitely be remembered for is Professor Snape in all eight Harry Potter movies. He played mean and slimy to perfection, but in the end he made your heart ache with sorrow.

Alan Rickman was a tremendous actor that will truly be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment